Founded in 1975, for more than forty years, Maria Montessori School has operated at the same location in North Toronto's Leaside neighbourhood. In 1988 an elementary program for children between the ages of six and twelve was established; seeing its first graduation in 1994. Currently the school supports a Young Children's Community (toddler), three Casa and two Elementary communities with a total enrollment of approximately one hundred and thirty children.
Maria Montessori School is committed to meeting the social, emotional, physical and intellectual needs of the child. It is our desire that within the framework of the Montessori principles and philosophy, the school shall provide each child the opportunity to develop their potential to the best of their ability; within a safe and affirming environment.
- With the above in mind, the following goals are an integral part of our community and our curriculum:
- To provide and maintain a happy, safe, and healthy learning environment
- To encourage and support the full development of each child
- To provide a setting which nurtures the individual’s self-esteem as an independent learner
- To extend the child’s awareness of their world and community, and assist in the development of social values
- To cooperate fully with the parent(s) in achieving these goals
- To uphold and defend the rights of the individual and universal child.
Maria Montessori School 125 Brentcliffe Rd., Toronto, Ontario. M4G 3Y7